Whether it's online gambling blackjack you fancy or if you're planning to hit the tables at Vegas you need to have your blackjack strategy right.
Here are some valuable tips for your blackjack game:
- First try to know the game fully. Read as much as you can about black jack online or about any other game before you start playing. The more you know about the game, the more you can hold on to it and you get the maximum.
- Find a table at a casino whose minimum is no more than 5% of your total stash. In picking a table, consider rule variations that help the player like the option of doubling down on any two cards, or the dealer having to stand on soft 17. Even if you don't completely understand them, these rule variations can work to your advantage.
- Start with the basics. Since the dealer has to hit (take a card) on any hand 16 or lower, you'll never win with less than 17 unless the dealer busts. Take a hit on any hand below 17 when the dealer shows ace, K, Q, J, 10, 9, or 8, cards that are unlikely to make the dealer bust. Stand on any hand above 11 when the dealer shows a 4,5, or 6, as they are cards that will lead the dealer to bust more than 40% of the time.
- If you can, double down! "Doubling down" involves doubling your bet and receiving one additional card when you suspect strongly that you will beat the dealer by doing so. This is the player's chief advantage, so don't ignore this option. Double down with 10 against a 9 or lower and with any hand of 11. If house rules permit it, double down with 9, or with "soft" hands (hands that count an ace as 1 or 11) of 13-17 against a 4, 5, or 6.
- Split your cards If you are dealt two cards of the same value, you may "split" them, doubling your bet and playing two hands. Never split 10s or 5s. Always split 8s or 7s against a dealer's card of equal or lower value. Always split 2s or 3s against a 4, 5, or 6. Always split aces. Never split face cards, 10s, or 5s.
- When in Vegas... Tip (or "toke") the dealer, as they are not unionized, work for lousy wages, and depend on your generosity. Unless you're winning serious stakes, a dollar chip every twenty or so hands is generally appropriate. If you want to make sure the dealer has your best interests at heart, place the tip right in front of your wagering circle, essentially turning it into a side bet on your hand. If you win, the dealer's tip doubles.
- Use your online casino bonus when playing online. In this way you can practise the game and familiarize yourself with the rules without risking your own money.